Money and power are the Iran and China of Europe.
If you have one or both, then nothing is sacred or impossible. Even because indifference is rife.
Here’s a screaming example of control of information, apathy and even censorship:
In 2007, a 3 year-old British girl – Madeleine McCann - goes missing in a holiday resort in Southern Portugal. I’m not even going into it – there has been enough talk about the details of the case.
What should have been just another missing person’s case, became not only an international media frenzy but also a political case – almost a political incident, between Portugal and the UK.
The question “why” is certainly pertinent in the aftermath, but nearly 3 years later, not only there’s no answer to that question and others; there isn’t even a scenario where questions can be put.
We are at a stage where posing questions equals “libelling”; where inconvenient questions are quickly met with law suits, and thus, questions are quickly silenced.
Maybe that explains another “whys”:
- Why have the media, namely the British, removed many inconvenient articles for the McCann from the cyberspace?
- Why have the British press suddenly become an “official” organ of propaganda for the McCann?
- Why are the McCann, unlike other parents in a similar situation, treated as starlets and spared “tough”, reasonable questions?
- Why is this preference being given to this couple?
- Why are books, DVDs, TV programs all over Europe being suppressed by the McCanns’ lawyers?
- Why they have so much power?
- Why are they allowed to get away with all this?
- Why has a judicial case been allowed to go out of the judicial sphere?
- Why is this couple and their Tapas friends refusing to go back for a reconstruction to answer the inconsistencies in their depositions?
- Why is this couple apparently above the law?
- Why have they step up a Fund so fast but are unconcerned that no police force is looking for their daughter?
- Why aren’t people outraged that this is happening?
- Why aren’t people reacting to the clear infringement of their right to unbiased information?
- Why aren’t the parents and the people demanding the re-opening of the case, in accordance with the “leaving no stone unturned” mantra?
These are just a few questions off the top of my head. Many more could and should be posed by a responsible society, to a couple who has used the media and the public attention as they pleased.
I hope we will have answers to these and other questions, soon. With your help, we will. Remember the CEOP message: "If you stay silent, you are just as bad".
Please add your "whys" to these in the comments or write your own manifest.