Tuesday, May 29, 2007

ET PLURIBUS UNUM

It's been a while since I last pointed out a less favorable trait of the my people. Not to loose practice, I will resume badmouthing the Poortuguese today, right after I finish with the English.

No really, I do have to hand it to the English – in spite of everything, they do have many qualities. One that I most admire, is how close they stick together and support each other – especially when they’re in a foreign land… wasted, passed out in their own puke, at the verge of an alcoholic induced coma, their just about sober mates will not give up on them, although they barely keep their own shorts above the crack of their arses…

It’s indeed remarkable, how they stand up for each other, in the good times and in the bad times. They are a gregarious lot. Pubs, societies, resorts, hooligans… the English relish the chance to go out in packs.

Italians are known to support their own, as well. The Poortuguese, however, show very poor unity with their fellow countrymen, at home or abroad. That is something quite peculiar, in a people that are basically just one people, sharing one language and one culture…

Alas, it’s mostly “every man for him self”. True friendships are rare, despite all the warm handshakes and pats on the back. People are seen for they value, as in “what can you do for me?” or “I’ll scratch your back, you scratch mine” etc. Often, this quickly turns to back stabbing, rug pulling and other nasty treachery moves.

I reckon this is still pretty much a tribal country. People more quickly hold allegiance to self or local interests than to the commonwealth…

It’s really a shame, for the only time in history that we were as one, that’s when we went and influenced the world and mankind...

No comments: